User Login
table using divs
The Royal Palace (official name "Haw Kham" in Lao pronunciation) in Luang Prabang, Laos, was built in 1904 during the French colonial era for King Sisavang Vong and his family. The site for the palace was chosen so that official visitors to Luang Prabang could disembark from their river voyages directly below the palace and be received there. After the death of King Sisavang Vong, the Crown Prince Savang Vatthana and his family were the last to occupy the grounds. In 1975, the monarchy was overthrown by the communists and the Royal Family were taken to re-education camps. The palace was then converted into a national museum. The Royal Palace is a also collection of the palace's most prized art, including the Phra Bang, cast of a gold, silver and bronze alloy. This Buddha stands at 83 cm tall and weighs around 50 kg. Legend has it that the statue was made around the 1st century in Sri Lanka and was later presented to the Khemer King Phaya Sirichantha, who then gave it to King Fa Ngum in 1359 as a Lao Buddhist leader.
Wat Xieng Thong was built 1559-1560 by the Lao King Setthathirath near where the Mekong and Nam Khan rivers join. Until 1975 the wat was a royal temple under the patronage of the royal family and the Lao kings were crowned in this temple. The wat is considered as representing typical Laos art and craft. The building of the temple have carved gilded wooden doors depicting scenes from Buddha's life. In the shrine the ceiling displays Dharmachakras - dharma wheels symbolising Buddhist law and the circle of reincarnation. The outer walls of the sim depict Lao legends and the rear gable is decorated with a glass mosaic depicting the tree of life. The outer walls of the Sanctuary of the Reclining Buddha, also known as Red Chapel, are decorated with mosaics.
Dating back to 1513 and the reign of King Wisunarat (Visoun), Wat Wisunarat is the oldest temple in Luang Prabang and was once home to the Prabang Buddha. The history of the temple is colourful with it being originally crafted from wood before being burned by Black Haw riders in 1887. The Black Haw riders were part of the Black Flag military rebel group led by a Chinese commander at the end of the 1880s. Post invasion, it was rebuilt using stucco and brick and retains some original pieces including a stupa that was created in 1503 along with some other small Buddha icons although many were stolen during the Haw raid. The Wisunarat temple is home to a small selection of richly gilded Buddhas and some ancient stones dating back to the 15th century. The stones were donated by Prince Phetsarat following the Black Haw bandit invasion. The Haw left with most of the priceless Buddha images made from jade, gold and precious gems by breaking open the stupa. Prior to invasion, Wat Wisunarat was once home to the revered Pha Bang Buddha from 1507 to 1715 which can now be viewed at the Royal Palace Museum.
Tham Pak Ou are two temple caves, located at the foot of a 300m high vertical limestone cliff, at the riverbank of Mekong River west bank. The easiest access to the caves is by boat, which land right in front of the caves. Stairs lead up into the cave temple which houses more than 4,000 gold-plated sculptures of Buddha. Most of the statues are wooden, some copper and stone. This cave was a sacred site for local animist tribes for centuries, until the country converted to Buddhism during the 14th century. The cave became famous in the 17th century, when the Kings of Lane Xang started to make pilgrimages here. At this time the cave already contained thousands of Buddha statues. Legends talk about some 37,000 Buddhas statues. Most of the sculptures date from the 18th and 19th century.
The upper cave, called Tham Phum or Tham Prakachay, is reached by a long flight of stairs. It is located 60m above the river. Smaller in size it is less impressive, but has a surreal touch. It is entered through a teak gate, a carved wooden frieze, made to support two massive wooden doors. The statue of a Buddha disciple sits at the door, and to the left is a carved wooden water channel and a miniature house for ceremonial washings of the Buddha sculptures. This cave houses 1,500 Buddha sculptures, between 10cm and 1.50m high.
The Kuang Si Falls, sometimes spelled Kuang Xi or known as Tat Kuang Si Waterfalls, is a three tier waterfallabout 29 kilometres (18 mi) south of Luang Prabang. These waterfalls are a favourite side trip for tourists in Luang Prabang. The falls begin in shallow pools atop a steep hillside. These lead to the main fall with a 60 metres (200 ft) cascade. The falls are accessed via a trail to a left of the falls. The water collects in numerous turquoise blue pools as it flows downstream. The many cascades that result are typical of travertine waterfalls.
Viengsay Town is a small town 52km far from Huapanh Province. Lao befor we call this town is LOAS P D R, birth place, because that area is very secret, they so many dip caves and there were 7 caves was use during Vietnam-American wars, some of cave was use for laos government and most lao population working, hiding, some cave can be hospital because it help the people give birth and also animal as well.
The jars were 1500 to 2000 years old, it said the plain of jar in laos were over 100 sites, but the most biggest are 3 sites in phonsavanh, and site 1 is the bigger then an others sites, there are over 300 jars, and each of jars have them own curler, different symbol as these jars came from three kingdom mean some came from Luangprabang and champasak kingdoms, some of jars was built at the sight in Xiengkhuang. And some of jars use for contain the bone, some to use make the jar whisky for drinking when the local people celebration for festivals, also use to keep water from the raining for drink because in phonsavanh quite dry.
PhaThatluang, Thatluangstupa located in Xaysetha city, Vientiane Capital, Laos. It is far from central of Vientiane about 3km to East. From historical Phathat Luang was built into 2 period.
Period 1: Phathat Luang was built in EA(Buddhist era) 236 before AD(Anno Domino) 307 years under led of Chanthabouli Pasithisak Governor with 5 Monks. 5 Monks went to Raskeu city, India country to study after their education and many years in India they returned their homeland. On their returned to their home they had brought with them two pieces bone of Buddha(one piece is bone pubic and another piece is bone chest). On arrival Governor Chanthabouli with Vientiane's people were built the first small stone Stupa to keep one piece bone pubic, wide 5 wa(5stretch arms) square, thick 2 wa and high 4 wa with 3 sok(4stretch arms with 3 elbow), and built PhathatPhanom to keep another piece bone chest. Because Lao people were living on both sides of the Mekong river in that time.
Period 2: After King Xaysethathirath had moved the Capital from Xiengthong to Vientiane in years2013(BE) matche years 1560(AD) and built big Stupa covering small Stupa was built before and was successful in years 1566(AD). Wide of department 91.75m, foot of Stupa on the east-west 69m, north-south 68m and high 45m which match ordained age of Buddha .
Normally people call "Monument or Patuxay" master Tham Xayyasithsena was led to build and artisan Chanmee, which was a skill to build in years 1959-1960, stopped temporary building because of captain Konglae had made a couk de'etat in years 1960. Until 1962-1967 they had continued building in period II until it was successful. Wide 24 square meters, high 49m, 4 doors with wide 8m, inside building consists 7 useful floors and 197 steps.
Horphakeo was the palace to place the Emerald Buddha. Emerald Buddha consists 7 kids of glasses as: Diamond, pomegranate, green glass, black glass, cat eye glass, garnet and pearl. Horphakeo was successful building in years 1565(AD) in period government service of King Xaysethathirat had led Lanexang people to build up the palace for only Emerald Buddha. Emerald Buddha was placed in this palace since years 2108(BE) match years 1565(AD)-years 2322(BE) match 1779(AD). In years 2322(BE) match 1779(AD) in the government service of Koungtonbuli, King Taksin moved the troops to fight Lanexang Kingdom and removing the Emerald to place in the temple Watprasiratanasathsaralan in years 1325(BE) match years 1782(AD). Emerald Buddha still was placing in Bangkok Thailand until present day.
The Mekhong is the 5th of biggest rivers in the world and long 4500km, it is the 7th of longest river in the world. it was flowing from Chana through six countries then confluence by the shouth Chana Sea in southern Vietnam. Mekhong was flowing through Laos 1800km, a part of Mekhong river in southern Laos was separated by many islands and different level became to six big Chanels from left side Mekhong as Khonephapheng rapid, TadPho rapid, Xangpheuak rapid, Khonepasoy rapid, Somphamit rapid and Salaphae rapid stretched to Cambodia on right side Mekhong river. Only one area of Mekhong river wide 14 and long 50 kilometers as Liphi cascade and 4000 islands. Just two of six big waterfalls are Khonphapheng and Somphamid (as know for tourists Liphi).
Khonephapheng fall is the famous fall and most beuatiful in southeast Asia. It is the biggest of six big chanels of Mekhong river which was separated by the Islands became the Liphi cascade and it is deep 15m and wide about 1km. It located closing the left bank of Mekhong river and very closed to Cambodia border.
Somphamid fall is the much famous fall and most diferent way beuatiful from Khonephapheng. It is the much big of six big chanels of Mekhong river which was separated by the Islands became the Liphi cascade. It located closing the bamboo Island and strecthed to Cambodia border on right side of Mekhong river.
After the team exploring Mekhong river had been done from years 1866-1868. Finally the vessel reached the Hou channel at Ban Khone and were launched on 1 November 1893. After 4 years they were constructed railway 3km long and 1 meters wide, from Ban Hangkhone to Ban Khone in years 1897-1900. They used for 10 years later, and because of the passengers increasing the boat pier will be improved, the bridge 158m long over Hou channel linking Don Khone and end of Don Ded was built in years 1910 for construction railway more 2km to the new pier at middle of Don Ded so total railway 5km.
Vat Phou or Wat Phu (temple-mountain) is a ruined Khmer Hindu temple complex in southern Laos. It is located at the base of mount Phu Kao, some 6 km from the Mekong river in Champasakprovince. There was a temple on the site as early as the 5th century, but the surviving structures date from the 11th to 13th centuries. The temple has a unique structure, in which the elements lead to a shrine where a lingadedicated to Lord Shiva was bathed in water from a mountain spring. The site later became a centre ofTheravada Buddhist worship, which it remains today. The mountain has a natural linga on its peak. Wat Phou was initially associated with the city of Shrestapura, which lay on the bank of the Mekong directly east of mount Lingaparvata (now called Phu Kao). By the latter part of the 5th century the city was already the capital of a kingdom which texts and inscriptions connect with both Chenla and Champa, and the first structure on the mountain was constructed around this time. The mountain gained spiritual importance from the linga-shaped protuberance on its summit; the mountain itself was therefore considered the home of Shiva, and the river as representing the ocean or the Ganges River. The temple was naturally dedicated to Shiva, while the water from the spring which emerges directly behind the temple was considered sacred. Wat Phou was a part of the Khmer empire, centred on Angkor to the southwest, at least as early as the reign of Yasovarman I in the early 10th century. Shrestapura was superseded by a new city in the Angkorianperiod, located directly south of the temple. In the later period, the original buildings were replaced, re-using some of the stone blocks; the temple now seen was built primarily during the Koh Ker and Baphuonperiods of the 11th century. Minor changes were made during the following two centuries, before the temple, like most in the empire, was converted to Theravada Buddhist use. This continued after the area came under control of the Lao, and a festival is held on the site each February. Little restoration work has been done, other than the restoration of boundary posts along the path. Wat Phou was designated a World Heritage Site in 2001.
Bolaven plateau was from the eruption more than 1500 years old. Bolaven makes from the source of ethics group as Laven, Yaheune, Kaleuam, Alak, Ngae and Katu in these minorities are big group as Laven, all of them believe animated religion. Bolaven plateau is an elevated region in southern Laos. The plateau's elevation ranges approximately over 1300 meters above sea level and large about 90 square kilometers. Most of the plateau is located within of Champasak province 50 kilometers is far from Paksong town , cover the edges of the plateau are also located in Attpeau, Sekong and Saravan provinces, high land and cold temperature. Plateau is the source of several rivers and has many scenic waterfalls as Tadfane, Tadnheuang ...etc.
Tadfane is bark deer fall. Three different rivers flow and join together then falls down in twin waterfall to bottom 120m then flowing to Mekhong river. Tadfane located in the area of Bolaven about 9000 square Kilometers , it is far from Pakse 38km. Plateau is surrounding by dense trees and coffee trees in rianny season, some time covers by cloud and hear its voice like thunder.
Because the plateau was from eruption with ample rainfall, cool temperature and rich volcanic soil this is perfect conditions for growing world class coffee. French colonists planted the first coffee trees in Laos around year 1915, but the experiment failed. Another attempt was made in years 1917, when both Arabica and Robusta plants were selected from Saigon's botanical gardens and finally established a successful coffee harvest in Laos in the years 1930.
Pa-Am village located on easthern of Attapeu province, it is far from Attapeu central about 30km, headed out for a day trip to the Pa-Am Village nearly Vietnamese border between Attapeu and Kontum, you have a chance to look at the Vietnam War-era SAM-2 air missile that has somehow miraculously not been sold as scrap. A cluster bomb casing fence had also been built around the missile, which hadn′t been there before. However, with the rapid pace of infrastructure development, at least the missile is now more accessible, and it′s still an impressive sight. The missile was transported from Vietnam to southern Laos after the US had pulled out of the region in 1973, and was intended to guard a main route of the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Pa-Am lay on a number of important branches of the Ho Chi Minh Trail, one of which led east, into South Vietnam, and another branch headed south, into Cambodia. Russian and Vietnamese were writing on the SAM-2 Missile at Pa-Am Village, Attapeu, Laos. It says in Russian “Made in the USSR”. Pa-AM is well worth a visit if you′re in southern Laos.